Museum of Badger Army Ammunition
telling the story of the
World's Largest Ammunition Plant in 1942
Badger Ordnance Works
photo above was taken by an official project photographer in May 1942 of the
north half of the world's largest ammunition plant, under construction in Sauk
County, Wisconsin. Located at the southern foot of the Baraboo Bluffs on the
Sauk Prairie, in the Townships of Sumpter and Merrimac, about 7 miles north of
Sauk City and Prairie du Sac and 8 miles south of Baraboo, 30 miles northwest of
Madison between US Highway 12 and the Wisconsin River.
The Badger Ordnance Works
was built on the terminal moraine and outwash plain of the glacier that stopped here about 12,000
years ago. This out wash plain is known as the Sauk Prairie named for the Sauk
Indians that had a village of 90 homes where Sauk City is located today.
The Museum of Badger Army Ammunition is located on U. S. Hwy 12 at the main entrance of the former Badger Army Ammunition Plant between Sauk City and Baraboo, WI.
GPS 7560 US Hwy 12 North Freedom, WI 53951
Click on the image above to begin the story of the Largest
Ammunition Plant in the World.
Click here to see a History Guy video on Badger Ordnance
Works, World War II